HBase Vs RDBMS
- RDBMS and HBase, both are database management systems. RDBMS uses tables to represent data and their relationships. HBase is a column-oriented dbms and it works on top of Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS).
- H BASE and other column-oriented DATABASE are often compared to more traditional and popular relational database or RDBMS.
Following are the important differences between RDBMS and HBase:
|HBase has no full form.||
|RDBMS stands for Relational DataBase Management System|
|HBase does not need SQL||
|RDBMS requires SQL, Structured Query Language.|
|HBase has no fixed schema and less restrictive||
|RDBMS has a fixed schema and more restrictive|
|HBase is column oriented, each column is a contiguous unit of page.||
Orientation/ Database type
|RDBMS is row oriented, each row is a contiguous unit of page.|
|HBase is highly scalable.||
|RDBMS faces problems in scalablity.|
|HBase is dynamic in nature.||
|RDBMS is static in nature.|
|HBase data retrieval is fast||
|RDBMS data retrieval is slow.|
|HBase follows CAP(Consistency, Availability, Partition-tolerance) Rule.||
|RDBMS follows ACID(Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability) Rule.|
|HBase handles structural, non-structural and semi-structural data.||
|RDBMS handles structural data.|
|Sparse data handling is present.||
Sparse Data Handling
|Sparse data handling is not present.|
|HBase is good with the Sparse table.||
|RDBMS is not optimized for sparse tables.|
|HBase supports scale out. It means while we need memory processing power and more disk, we need to add new servers to the cluster rather than upgrading the present one.||
Scale up/ Scale out
|However, RDBMS supports scale up. That means while we need memory processing power and more disk, we need upgrade same server to a more powerful server, rather than adding new servers.|
|There is no built-in support||
|RDBMS has ACID support.|
|There is no transaction guaranty.||
|RDBMS mostly guarantees transaction integrity.|
|While it comes to referential integrity, there is no in-built support.||
|RDBMS, supports referential integrity.|
|HBase supports JOINs.||
|RDBMS does not support JOINs.|
Basis CRUD Operations in H Base:
- If you want any CRUD Operations in H Base, H Base should be up and running otherwise the operations will not be successful.
- Running the child instance, but not running the master instance is not same as the running master instance as creating the child instance.
- The initial sets of basic operations are often referred to as CRUD which stands for Create, Read, Update and Delete.
- These are provided by the HTable class.
- Whenever we are creating a table name in H Base, we must follow the below steps:
- For creating a table, the syntax is
H Base (main):002:0>create ‘table name’, ’column family Name’
Hence, in this article, we saw the difference between HBase & RDBMS. Moreover, we have seen the complete comparison and the features of HBase and RDBMS. However, if any doubt occurs regarding HBase vs RDBMS, feel free to ask in the comment section.
I hope this post helps you to understand all the comparisons between “HBASE and RDBMS”.
Keep Learning 🙂